Need to send a commercial electronic message (CEM) that is Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), compliant? Submit a request form!
What is a CEM?
A commercial electronic message (CEM) is a message whose purpose is to encourage participation in a commercial activity whether or not there is an expectation of profit. Some examples would include: promoting events, emails promoting or encouraging people to enroll in events, programs or activities, open house invitations, and newsletters.
The Basic CASL Rule
Commercial electronic messages cannot be sent to any person unless both the consent requirement and content requirement are met, and, the information contained is not misleading or fraudulent in any way.
Every CEM must include certain content: information about the sender and an unsubscribe mechanism.
Please include the following in every CEM:
(Legal name of organization)
(Full mailing address) (Telephone number)
(Email address or web address)
Please visit www.mohawkcollege.ca/CASLconsent if you would no longer like to receive commercial electronic messages from Mohawk College.
After July 1, 2017, when sending a CEM, you must be able to prove that you have implied consent or express consent to send the CEM. For more information on implied vs. express consent, please visit the CASL section include on student and employee tabs of MyMohawk.
What can I do to make sure I am CASL compliant?
- Review your message to ensure that the content requirements are met; and
- Ensure that you have implied or express consent to send the CEM to your email distribution list.
How can I make sure my email distribution list is CASL compliant?
Submit a request form 'to send a CASL compliant commercial electronic message (CEM).'
You can submit a request for to:
- Make an existing email distribution list CASL compliant; or
- Generate a new distribution list that is CASL compliant.
- After an email distribution list is reviewed for CASL compliance, the requestor must send out the CEM within 10 days.
- If the requestor asks for a list to be generated, please allow for a minimum of five days for your request to be fulfilled.
The list will be reviewed for:
- Whether or not the message is in fact a CEM;
- CASL content requirements;
- CASL Consent requirements (unsubscribes will be removed).
The list will not be reviewed for:
- Content such as facts, numbers, names etc.;
- Spelling and grammar; and
- Design and images.
Here's a diagram of the process: